Maximizing a Mini: Tips on Packing
When it comes time to pack your moving container, you may find that there were a few things you wished you had known before you started moving things in, like how to maximize your space and ensure nothing breaks while on the road. That’s where we come in to help!
Filling Your Go Mini’s Moving Container
Ask yourself: “Am I using the right materials?”
Before it’s even time to start filling your Go Mini’s, you should make sure that your materials will be able to keep all of your belongings safe and withstand the drive.
Below are some commonly used materials we suggest avoiding:
- Flimsy boxes. Free boxes are usually free because they’re too weak to hold their structure and carry much.
- Wood crates. Wood crates became popular because of their sturdiness. Unfortunately, that actually becomes their downfall when it’s time to unpack. Wood crates can’t be broken down and often take up too much space in a Go Mini’s and at home.
- Newspaper. Not only is newspaper usually too thin to provide any real protection, but it can also transfer onto glass items.
Learn which container size is best for your home.
No one wants to fall just a few inches short of the space they need or finish packing and still have several feet of unused space. We currently offer containers in three lengths — 12, 16, and 20 feet. In fact, we’re the only national portable storage franchise to offer 20-foot containers.
Organize your container.
Most people are eager to start filling their Go Mini’s the moment it’s dropped off, but a little planning can go a long way in maximizing your space. When it’s time to fill your container, remember to:
- Pack necessary or frequently used items last. Bedding, clothing, and bathroom supplies will all be needed your first week in the new home, so you don’t want them to be packed away in the very back of your unit.
- Distribute weight evenly. If you’re planning on packing furniture, like couches and beds, don’t place them all in the same area. By spreading out heavier items (starting at the back and moving forward), you can avoid uneven weight distributions.
Go Minis ® Franchising, LLC. is committed to minimizing your worries and maximizing your storage space. We can work with your needs and your schedule to ensure you have the best storage experience.
Give us a call at (866) 446-6187 to reserve your unit today, or get an instant quote online.