Moving Timeline and Checklist
If you’re looking ahead to a move in the coming months, having a plan in place is key. Especially when you’re taking the Do-it-yourself approach, knowing what to expect and having a master task list of all the moving parts and pieces can make the difference between a high-stress move and a seamless relocation.
We teamed up with our sister company ADSI Moving Systems to put together this moving timeline and to-do list to help keep you on track and moving forward as the big day gets closer.
Pro tip: Start planning as far in advance as you can!
6-8 Weeks Before Moving
- Create your moving checklist. Identify all the tasks you need to complete and set deadlines.
- Book your Go Mini’s container for delivery. Make sure to allow enough time for packing and loading before moving day.
4-6 Weeks Before Moving
- Lighten your load! Start to sort through items and determine what you will take and what you need to get rid of.
- Make a list of people you need to notify about your change of address.
- Start using up pantry items and frozen foods you have on hand so they are gone before moving day.
2-3 Weeks Before Moving
- Begin organizing and packing your belongings. Be sure to label boxes with contents as well as the room they go to in your new home
- Make sure to schedule the pickup and delivery of your container for moving day. We'll complete all your paperwork and booking details at this time to ensure a hassle-free moving day!
- Review our list of non-allowable items to ensure these items do not end up inside your Go Mini’s container.
1-2 Weeks before moving
- Receive your Go Mini’s container and any necessary packing supplies for your move.
- Finish packing boxes and begin loading them into your container. Remember to load the larger, heavier items on the bottom, stacking lighter and more fragile items on top.
- Retrieve items from any storage facilities that you might need for your move.
- If you are planning to make any updates to your new home before moving in, make sure those are wrapping up about 7-10 days from moving day.
- Prep a moving day essentials box and set aside a few items for the kids, if needed.
The Day Before Moving
- Finalize loading your container. Make sure items are tied down and secured for transit.
- Double-check your attic, crawl spaces and basement storage areas to make sure nothing is left behind.
- Do a final walkthrough of all your rooms and collect up any items you might have missed that should be packed in your container for transport.
- Confirm the pickup time for your Go Mini to be relocated to your new home.
- Get a good night's sleep!
On Moving Day
- Your driver will arrive to pickup your container and prep it for transit.
- Once your container is loaded, we will meet you at your new residence for delivery.
- After the container is delivered, it’s time to begin unpacking and settling into your new home.
After Moving Day
Moving and getting settled into a new home takes time, with the flexibility of Go Mini’s you can take your time unloading your container and just give us a 48-hour call ahead when you’re ready for the final container pickup.
Having a secure, on-site place to sort and store items as you organize and setup your new home is just one of the amazing benefits of using Go Mini’s for your D.I.Y. move. If you’re in the early stages of planning, we’d love to talk with you more about our various container options and all the benefits Go Mini’s has to offer! Give us a call to get started today.